- The US played the Dominican Republic in what was actually a super entertaining WBC game. DR came back from five runs down to beat ‘Merica 7-5. Thoughts and prayers to Andrew Miller because he’s had a rough couple of months. In the eighth inning, DR hit two home runs off Miller, one by Nelson Cruz and one by Starling Marte. Each time the entire bench went insane and it was awesome to watch. If you’re calling DR disrespectful today or complaining about excessive celebration, I hate you.
- Twins pitcher Trevor May became the latest victim of a torn UCL. This comes three days after their 2016 first round pick Alex Kirilloff underwent Tommy John surgery. May recently overcame a season-ending stress fracture in his back, possibly after a fight with Bane, but more likely a result of something else.
- Pedro Alvarez signed a minor league deal to return to the Orioles. The thirty year old DH doesn’t do much these days besides knock the occasional dinger. His late signing continues the offseason trend of teams shying away from one-dimensional players.
- Salvador Perez suffered a leg injury after a collision at home plate in the World Baseball Classic. Drew Butera of Team Italy displayed some impressive unathleticism and rolled into Perez’s leg. The Royals catcher had to be carried back to the clubhouse.
- The Nationals placed Derek Norris on waivers. As with most situations like this, if no one claims Norris he’ll likely be released. Norris had a bit of a down year, but the good news is his .186 average has room for improvement.
- What some have called the worst signing of the offseason may have gotten worse. Ian Desmond suffered a fracture in his left hand, which will make it difficult for him to catch baseballs.